Header Image for Kerry Community Council

Brynllywarch Hall

The Brynllywarch and Cilthriew estates were united in the hands of the Pugh family,  over two centuries. The original house was rebuilt in 1829 by William Pugh (1783-1842) of Berriew, Deputy Lieutenant of the County (1807), financier and philanthropist, who supported the extension of the Montgomery Canal (1821), the building of Dolfor Road (1823), the introduction of steam power to Newtown's mills (1833), and who was a benefactor to the poor of Newtown. The financial failure of William Pugh,  who had to flee to Caen to avoid his creditors, forced its sale in 1838. The purchasers were the Liverpool banking family Naylor-Leyland who over the next 50 years acquired many more of the neighbouring farms.

The house and gardens became well known for their planting and giraffes looking out from the menagerie. A large addition in white brick was made in 1879 by Christopher Leyland.

 

Brynllywarch PCW Creative Archive Licence © Newtown High School


A major programme of agricultural improvement was undertaken with many of the farmhouses and cottages being completely rebuilt. Naylor’s land agent, John Wilkes Poundley, might well have been responsible for the Victorian model farm architecture which typifies the Brynllywarch estate style, using red brick, which would have come from the estate brickyard, and rusticated stone quoining.  

 

 

 

Caeshenkin PCW Creative Archive Licence © Newtown High School 

 

An estate hamlet, now part of the conservation area Sawmills, incorporated the latest technology. A similar but more ambitious project was being undertaken at the same time at Naylor’s other estate at Leighton. Village houses south and west of the church were rebuilt in the same style. 

             

Sawmills, engine shed © John Napier.            Sawmills 1902 © Newtown High School  

 

John Naylor also built the school, and the reading rooms. The latter served as Kerry’s village hall until 1957.

 

 

St Michael’s Primary School, Kerry PCW Creative Archive Licence © Newtown High School

Early 20C photographs by J. B. Willans, © Newtown High School

For more images by J B Willans see https://www.peoplescollection.wales/discover/query/willans

 

Brynllywarch Hall School 

The house was sold in 1919, and eventually in 1946 Montgomeryshire authority bought both Brynllywarch Hall and Cyfronydd Hall. Cyfronydd for the girls and Brynllywarch for the boys. In 1948 the 2 mansions were converted into residential special schools and on the 29th of October 1951 Brynllywarch opened with 16 pupils. The headteacher was Mr A O Williams and he was assisted by Mr J H Morgan, and there were half a dozen support staff to help run the school. School terms used to run for 16 weeks at a time with no breaks including weekends. In 1971 when Mr Williams retired, Mr J R Lewis was appointed as his successor. He retired in 1989 when Mr D C Williams took over as head. In 2010 Mr R Davies was appointed Acting head until 2011 when the current head Mr G Randell took over.  

Nowadays, Brynllywarch Hall School offers the same opportunities as a main stream school but with smaller class sizes there is more chance of success, the school offers both GCSE and vocational qualifications in key stage 4. The school also offers bespoke timetable packages with a mix of both on and off site education for students who cannot cope with being in a classroom full time. We cover all of Powys and neighbouring counties providing education opportunities for students as young as 8 in our key stage 2 department right up to 19 in our sixth form.

Our school vision is:

Brynllywarch Hall School provides a fresh start where there are high expectations through challenge by all for all. Quality teaching and nurture enables all of our students to manage their emotions and take their place in society as lifelong learners.

 

The End of Year News from the school is as follows:

Well, hasn’t it all been a very strange time for us all. we have continued to welcome some of our pupils from the Hub school that we were running from Cedewain school in Newtown during the lockdown but it is lovely to be back ‘home’ and to use our lovely site to welcome pupils back onto.

During lockdown we continued to offer support to our students through a variety of means including Teams and phone calls. We also ensured that all our students had access to laptops to do online work and access to the internet. Many of our students have really adapted well to the online platform and we have had regular tutorials with them allowing them to have regular communication with staff and peers. We have been able to reward students for their engagement by allowing them to earn Amazon vouchers and Tablets as prizes for good efforts and work.

We are using the next few weeks as a catch up, welcoming our new students and wishing good luck to our leavers. we have 2 students leaving us this year, 1 moving into the big world of work with jobs already lined up, one of which he found through his work experience placement and 1 going to College to continue his education. They have both been pupils for a number of years and almost feel like members of staff, they’ve been around so long! And they will both be greatly missed by us all, Good luck to you both.

We have been busy planning ahead to September and have exciting plans in place for the new curriculum. fingers crossed the ‘new normal’ will be kind to us all and allow us to regroup again with all our young people.

Stay safe and thank you all for your continued support

 

 

The latest Newsletter for the school, for the Autumn 2019 term is attached here

 /Kerry-CC/UserFiles/Files/Brynllywarch Hall School 001-Newsletter-September2019.docx