The village of Kerry is still largely a farming community, although nowadays it is also a commuting village for the town of Newtown just less than 3 miles away. It is famous for its breed of sheep, i.e. The Kerry Hill breed. The A489 runs through the centre of the village, which has a population of about 1,000. As you travel through from Newtown you will see two black and white lodges on the left hand side of the road. These lodges guarded the old carriage access to Dolforgan Hall, which together with the Brynllywarch Hall estate, played a big part in the development of the village in the 19th century. In fact, most of the village, including the surrounding farms, belonged to either the Dolforgan or Brynllywarch estates.
Further along the main road, there is a shop/post office and further again, a hairdressers fronting the village square which has the church, St Michael & All Angels, leading off it. This Norman church dates back to 1176 and has a rare example of an old chained bible. There is evidence that a church existed before this date but in 1176 it was rebuilt and re-dedicated and there is a well-known story of a dispute at this time between Giraldus Cambrensis, who as Archdeacon of Brecon, was responsible for the parish of Kerry and came to Kerry to confront the Bishop of St Asaph about the rights of his diocese. When he arrived on the morning of the re-dedication, he found the church locked, as 2 of the clergy had hidden the keys and had set out to greet the Bishop.
However, he managed to gain access and had the bells rung as a token of possession. When the Bishop arrived, there was a confrontation, with each threatening to ex-communicate the other. Giraldus had the Church door thrown open and came out accompanied by other priests and clergy with lighted candles and a processional cross. At this point, the Bishop galloped off and was pursued by sticks and stones thrown by the surrounding crowd. Kerry parish thus remained in the diocese of St Davids until July 1849, when it was transferred amicably to St Asaph.
There are 2 pubs in the village: the Herbert Arms on the right of the main road and the Kerry Lamb further along on the left. Also just before the Kerry Lamb, there is a Baptist Chapel. A primary school, St Michael's Church in Wales School, stands on the right of the main road on the edge of the village. There is another school just outside the village: Brynllywarch Hall School which is for children with special needs.
Kerry is known for the foundation of the modern eisteddfod and this annual event still takes place each year in June.
The Kerry News
Kerry News is a
voluntary organisation, run by people in the community. Written, edited and
printed at the home of the editors, overseen by a committee and supported by a
team of collators and proof readers. Founded in 2005, it's a very popular
publication and much looked forward to by many. People can subscribe and have
it posted to them each month, or pick up a copy locally.
We print 450 copies per month and these are available from Kerry Shop, The Kerry Lamb, The Herbert Arms and The Kerry Honesty Box on Gilfach Lane. The Kerry News is free, however, we do ask for a small donation (£1 suggested) per copy. We are funded purely by our advertisers, donations and grants. There is no edition out in January, with February being the first edition of the year.
In the each edition of Kerry News we feature articles and reports from local clubs and organisations such as Kerry Bowling Club, Silver Threads, Women's Institute, Kerry Playgroup and St. Michael's School. We also feature news from St Michael's Church and Llanmerewig Church, and Kerry Baptist chapel. We also have regular features such as "Night Sky"; which is all about celestial events that month; and "Garden hints and tips".
To submit an article, photo, story, announcement or anything else relevant to the community, please contact Kate and Christian ap Iago by e-mailing email@example.com
Alternatively you can drop things off at Kerry shop and Post office in a sealed envelope clearly marked "Kerry News".
Editing Team is - Kate and Christian ap Iago, Dawn and Dave Lush.
Chair: Kath Roberts-Jones
There are several lovely walks around Kerry including the one along the Kerry Ridgeway, overlooking Wales on one side and England on the other. It is an old drovers' route of about 15 miles from Wales to the English markets and has wonderful views all around.
Some years ago the W.I. published a leaflet showing several walks in the area.
Kerry Baptist Chapel
Kerry Chapel was opened as an Independent (i.e. Congregational) Chapel in 1824 and Samuel Bowen, the Classical Tutor of the North Wales Independent College, Newtown, became its first pastor. However, by 1849 the Chapel had been acquired by the Baptists and Richard Owen, of Upper Green Newtown, became its first Baptist Minister. In January 1856 he left Kerry to become a student at Pontypool Baptist College and he returned to Kerry for his second pastorate from 1860 to 1863. The Chapel’s current minister is Maggie Rich.
Organisations in Kerry
| Kerry Shop/Post Office
||Brent & Paula
|| 01686 670650
| Kerry School (St Michael's)
||Headteacher: Marc Philips
|| 01686 670208
| Brynllywarch Hall School
||Headteacher: Mr G Randell
|| 01686 670276
| St Michael & All Angels Church
||Rev. Jeanette Wilkes
||Minister: Rev Maggie Rich
Coffee Mornings: Wed 10.30am - 12 noon
||Bookings Secretary: Linda Hopkins
Caretaker: Kevin Lander
||Nikki's Hair Salon
||Editors: Dawn & David Lush
Kate & Christian ap lago
||President: Sue Farrington
||Leader: Sue Farrington
Secretary: Glenys Smith
||Leader: Nia Davies
||Secretary: Marie Hussey
||Secretary: Mike Morgan
||Secretary: Amanda Eastwood
||Secretary: Jane Stewart
||Contact: Gillian Evans
|Childrens Dance Classes
||Tuesdays - Contact Sally Gartfell
||Thursday evenings from May - October
Meet at the Village Car Park at 6.00pm
||Monday evenings from 7.30pm - 8.30pm