Kerry Village Hall
In 1948 functions were still being held to raise money for repairs and renovations to the Reading Rooms. In April 1949 a public meeting was held to decide whether to continue with plans to improve the facility or to investigate the prospects of building a New Village Hall.
When Mr Beverstock asked if it would not be better to decide on a new hall the suggestion was greeted with applause, and by a show of hands it was decided by a large majority that a grant for a new hall be applied for. A ‘New Village Hall Committee’ was formed with the objective of finding a suitable site, raising funds for, and planning to build, a new hall.
Also formed was a Youth Section of the New Village Hall Committee. During the Christmas week of 1949 they toured the district singing carols, which raised the grand total of £17 and 9 shillings.
Other fund raising events held included whist drives, concerts, dances and competitions.
From the County Times of 2.12.1950… ‘At a well attended meeting in the Reading Room, Mr Albert Pryce, retiring chairman, put forward a recommendation from his committee that the scheme should be continued in spite of the fact that the Governments grants for Village Halls have ceased.’
The meeting agreed the recommendation and a new committee was set up consisting of representatives from all public bodies in the village, together with others present. It was agreed that the proposed site be purchased. Suggestions for the raising of funds were considered and a good deal of enthusiasm was shown.
Mr J T C Gittins acted for the committee in negotiations for the purchase of the site for the new hall. The site, just over an acre of land, formerly belonged to the County Council and was bought for £156.
The New Village Hall was completed and opened in 1957.